In the most rainy, darkest time of year, what better way to bring a little sunshine into your life than to celebrate Hawaii? Hawaii Weekend at the Seattle Aquarium is bringing some island life to the Pacific Northwest this winter. January 18th through the 20th put on your Hawaiian shirt and grab a lei (or come as you are), to enjoy a little slice of the tropics with a “deep dive” into the unique sea animals that reside only in Hawaii! There will be Hawaiian music, activities and even special diver shows. Visitors can enjoy Hawaiian story time, meet marine mammals indigenous to the islands, and much more- all included in the price of admission (or FREE with membership!). Members can even get into the into the aquarium for an early opening on Sunday, January 19th.
While you’re there check out all that this incredible aquarium has to offer including:
- Sea Animals Galore: The Seattle Aquarium is home to a huge variety of sea life including dogfish, puffer fish, otters, seals, puffins, octopus, crabs and corals.
- Ring of Life: This 12-foot high acrylic ring is your opportunity to step inside an exhibit surrounded by luminous moon jellies.
- Giant Pacific Octopus: Take a look at this fascinating creature, moving through a two section exhibit. For a unique experience stop by at noon or 4pm to see a feeding.
- Underwater Dome: Sea life surrounds you at the underwater dome, the Aquarium’s largest exhibit. You’ll get a 360-degree view into a 400,000 gallon tank filled with sea life including sharks, salmon, rockfish and lingcod.
- Life on the Edge: Life on the Edge gives visitors the chance to explore the sea life of Puget Sound tide pools through touch. Play with the sea urchins, chase the hermit crabs, and feel the texture of the sea star.
- Window on Washington: This 120,000-gallon exhibit is one of the first things you’ll see when you enter the aquarium. The exhibit is a slice of the Pacific Northwest, designed to replicate the seascape of Neah Bay, featuring salmon, rockfish, sculpins, wolf eels, anemones, sea stars, sea urchins and corals.. The viewing window is 20 x 40 feet and features divers three times a day, specially suited to answer visitors’ questions.
Seattle Aquarium is open daily from 9:30am to 5pm. Consider becoming a member! Membership includes a full year of unlimited access to the Aquarium plus two half-price guests pre membership with every visit. Learn more here.